skip to main |
skip to sidebar
15 weeks - Sequential Screen Results
I had my 15 week OB visit this past week. It was wonderful and reassuring to hear the baby's heartbeat. That is that part I was looking forward to the most.
The OB also got back the results from the NT/Sequential Screen. Basically the results are that everything is normal, but there are some abnormal numbers. Basically the deal is that a couple of my blood test numbers were slightly(?) abnormal and the baby has a slightly higher chance of having down's syndrome, but the down's syndrome chances are still within a normal range (1 in 460 instead of 1 in 540)
Confusing? Yes.
But, the baby's NT measurement during the ultrasound was totally normal. That is good news. The measurement is also an indicator of down's.
But the blood levels, specifically the PAPP-A, HCG and Inhibin A levels, were off, enough so that my OB says I am at risk for pre-eclampsia and the baby having restricted growth. I should have asked more questions but I think I was just sort of overwhelmed with all the info that came with the results. All my OB said was that I was at risk and that they would do extra ultrasounds to check on the growth. She didn't explain the dangers or ways to prevent either pre-eclampsia or restricted growth.
When I got home after the appointment I googled pre-eclampsia and restricted growth and it is scary! It is so scary to think that something could go wrong with the baby. I think back to when we transferred the embryo and I remember the embryo report saying that it was an A-B embryo, a grade A for the embryo and a grade B for the placenta. Since the pre-eclampsia and restricted growth are all due to the placenta I can't help but think that it is our fault somehow because of the grade B placenta. But then, the RE's office said they transfer BBs and BCs all the time and are successful.
Anyway, now I am so scared. I am scared something will happen to this baby. Or that our luck has started to run out. And I am so MAD. Mad at this test which has a like 90% accuracy and a 5% false positive rate. So stupid stupid.
We have the option of doing an amnio to identify if the baby has down's, but I feel like with the risk of miscarriage is not something I want to toy with and even if it does have down's we would keep it. So why risk it?
DH and I are going to see if we can make an appointment with my OB for next week to go over our questions about risks and prevention of pre-e and restricted growth. Hopefully we'll get more of our questions answered and get a plan in place.
I'm so sorry you are feeling scared...sucks that all your test results didn't come back saying everything is A-OK. Don't blame yourself though...
ReplyDeleteIt's good you're getting more information and I hope what you hear is reassuring.
Hugs to you...ugh...this is all so hard.
And PS, thanks for your comments on my blog re: Zofran...your suggestions are helping me deal with the constipation, which hasn't been too bad for me...prunes, prunes and more prunes! :)