Monday, December 20, 2010

IUI #1

today was our first (unstimulated) IUI. i actually felt some real light-shining-through-the-clouds hope today. DH went in around 8:30am to leave his sample. He picked me up in the afternoon and we drove over to the RE's office.  


DH's pre-wash results came back low, but not as low as the two previous SAs. His total motile went from 8 million (last SA) to 22 million (this SA)! awesome! but somehow, for reasons we both don't understand, the wash brought the total motile down to 2 million. does anyone know why the motile were reduced so much? we thought we were supposed to expect a 75% reduction, which would leave more like 5 million. 


anyway, it only takes one, right? and so we're hoping that our "one" is in this batch of 2 million. :) 


the IUI went smoothly, i think. a nurse did the insemination. we got to see the test tube beforehand when she had us double checking our ID numbers on both my hospital--like arm band and the wash test tube. DH thought it was funny that the wash is a pink color.  it wasn't too painful, mostly like a quick twinge. it was worse about an hour later, when i had some normal menstrual-like cramps, but not enough to make me want to take an advil. it was kind of disturbing to feel the wash slowly dribbling out of me too... hopefully that's totally normal and doesn't mean they were all falling out. 


cheers to hope!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first IUI! I know it seems strange to say that, but it's a big step.

    As for the sperm wash, it depends how how "good" his 22 million were (great number, by the way). If he had low morphology or low forward motility that could bring the post-wash count way down. The wash is supposed to get rid of all but the best sperm.

    Good luck! I hope you get a BFP for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations with your first IUI!!!

    Don't worry about the sperm dribbling out - it's not sperm, it's a normal discharge as you are supposed to be ovulating now. The little guys are not going anywhere outside your body. I am not a doctor, but that's what I was told by the doctors and nurses at my clinic.

    Hopefully this is your first and last IUI. Good Luck!!!

    Happy ICLW from #57 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here from ICLW! Good luck with your IUI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am cringing at the thought of wash dribbling out! Yuck! Congrats on your first IUI and Happy ICLW.

    http://mydustyuterus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with this iui!

    You might want to skip the advil though and switch to Tylenol, some research is pointing to Advil causing implantation issues, and also vascular problems in the fetal heart.

    Happy Holidays and Happy ICLW
    #50

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that you deserve a big congrats on your first IUI! It is a huge step towards starting your family!

    My DH and I also have MFI, and I am in my second IUI cycle just a few days ahead of you. Here's hoping that this is our month!!!

    I think it is awesome that you are doing natural cycles. There is a part of me that really would have preferred the least invasive procedures available to us, but at the same time I wanted to max out our odds for each and every cycle. The meds have been fine, and I haven't noticed any major side effects, thank goodness.

    Good Luck!
    -Foxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you all the best for this IUI! 2 million sounds wonderful - Mr. Jem's count is zero, okay, 7. Seven, not seven million. Seven.


    ~Jem (ICLW #5)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck!! Those 2 million sperm are the best possible ones and hopefully are doing their job. ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope this is the only time you have to go through that! Good luck this cycle and may 2011 bring you a long awaited baby! Lots of love from ICLW #110!

    ReplyDelete
  10. good luck on iui #1! best wishes and hoping for a happy new year gift for you!... iclw (#100)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you the very best of luck with your IUI. Hoping the New Year is blissfully happy for you.

    ICLW #29

    ReplyDelete